| Meopta | MeoStar® B1 | 42mm | HD Series |
What the makers say:
Fluoride lens elements deliver incredible images. Winner of OutdoorLife magazines “Editors Choice Award” for 2012, the MeoStar® 42mm HD binocular is ranked as being one of the finest HD binoculars in the world. The addition of extra-low dispersion, fluoride objective lens elements eliminate chromatic aberration (CA) or colour fringing in challenging lighting conditions and deliver pin point resolution, increased contrast and vivid colour fidelity. Class-leading wide FOV and extremely flat field lets you take in more image and makes for effortless, distortion-free panning. MB5501 TM ion assisted lens multi-coatings deliver maximum brightness in all conditions with pin point resolution and crystal clear edge-to-edge performance. An ergonomically shaped armour design with sculpted thumb pockets encourages a balanced, secure hold for extra comfort during extended glassing sessions.
10×42 – Higher magnification for observing the greatest detail at extended distances. Excellent choice for all-around hunting and on wide open terrain where greater observation range is desired.
• MeoBrightTM – A proprietary ion-assisted lens multi-coating applied to all air-to-glass optical surfaces. Developed by Meopta, MeoBrightTM ion- assisted multi-coatings eliminate glare and reflections and delivers an industry leading 99.8% light transmission per lens surface.
• MeoShieldTM – MeoShield TM ion-assisted coating protects external lens surfaces and delivers enhanced resistance to scratching or abrasion in extreme conditions. MeoShieldTM meets military specifications for durability and surface hardness.
• HD Lens Elements – High-definition, extra-low dispersion, fluoride objective lens elements eliminate chromatic aberration (CA) or colour fringing in challenging lighting conditions and deliver pin point resolution, increased contrast and vivid colour fidelity.
• Lens Components – Individual lens components are meticulously ground and polished in-house and precisely matched for superior performance.
• Waterproof – All binoculars are 100% guaranteed waterproof, submersible and are fully protected against humidity, rain and snow.
• Fogproof – All binoculars are purged and sealed with inert Nitrogen gas to provide 100% guaranteed fogproof performance.
• Prism System – Precisely ground and finished Schimdt-Pechan prism system is polished to within +/- 1 second and allows hours of extended glassing without eye strain.
• Focus and Diopter Control – Central focus wheel smoothly operates on a finely tuned ratio allowing precise, accurate focus acquisition with no backlash. Integrated central diopter control is easy to adjust and accommodates +/- 3 D.
• Ergonomic Armor Design – Protective rubber armor is softer in strategic locations to help reduce hand fatigue and improve grip. Sculpted thumb pockets accommodate a variety of hand positions and encourages a balanced and comfortable hold.
• Chassis Construction – Aircraft grade aluminum chassis is incredibly robust and built to survive rough conditions in the field.
• Lifetime Warranty – All binoculars carry Meopta’s North American Lifetime transferable Warranty.
The fact that I have very little to say should not be seen as negative. I have little to say as these binoculars are very good indeed.
My one quibble is with the diopter adjustment which, being part of the focus wheel, is hard to manipulate without accidentally changing the focus, so it can be fiddly and a mechanism away from the focus wheel that can lock would make these as good as anything out there.
Optical quality is simply not in question. Field testing them alongside my own top of the range binoculars from the acknowledged market leader for birders I found very little difference. They are colour true, give a bright, clear and sharp image right to the edge of the lens and more or less the same weight and feel comfortable in the hand. I almost prefer their compact, slightly stubby form.
I had no issues in different light and different weather conditions and found them easy to keep dust and damp free. The carry strap and bag are nicely designed and I particularly like the fact that you can unclip the strap and attach it to the bag rather than the bins with a simple motion. The cleaning cloth is a bit on the flimsy side and a few pence extra would give one something of more use and durability.
The only surprise to me is why more birders are not using them. They are priced a decent amount below their top range rivals, which should attract customers who are not seduced by fashion or reputation. Make no mistake these are of the finest quality and offer the same after sales guaranties so deserve to be considered alongside the other ‘top three’ makes.
UK readers see details HERE
US birders see HERE